duckyxdale

7/20/2006

So You Think You Can Dance
Competition Show (Part 2 of 2)
July 19, 2006







Before we get back to the action, can we take a second to talk about Jean Marc Generoux's fake French accent? You just know he's from the Bronx or something! That accent fades in and out more than Madonna's... or Malan from Project Runway. And honestly, could he make more words plural when they so aren't plural? Backs tos thes shows...

Benji and new partner Natalie dance a Straight Jazz routine by Tyce Diorio (who's growing on me). Both dancers are incredible but this is not a couples dance. Benji's doing one thing and Natalie another. It worried me but the judges loved it! I love both of them so does it really matter?
Download: "Wonderful" by India.Arie
India.Arie - Conception - An Interpretation of Stevie Wonder's Songs - Wonderful


Cousin Heidi may have bore holes in the floor of that stage with her twists and turn solo. Wow the girl can move! That face was still all crazy scrunched though.
Download: "Dum Diddly" by Black Eyed Peas
Black Eyed Peas - Monkey Business (Special Edition) [Bonus Video Version] - Dum Diddly


Martha and Ivan do a Slow Waltz choreographed by Michael Mead and Toni Redpath. It's graceful but boring; at times you could even see Ivan counting and concentrating so intently that it took me out of the routine. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that 2 routines and a solo is too much for these kids. Cat's becoming the Mother Hen to these kids, she actually looked upset for the pair. Hey, nothing you can do when the coupling is this bad. Ivan deserved better.


Breathe in... Breathe out... It's Travis' solo! His technique is amazing (like I'd know anything about technique but it looks like it's amazing), he's full of energy, spins, acrobatics, and fun! Travis is out there having the time of his life doing what he loves most... dancing his ass off!
Download: "Belief" by Gavin Degraw
Gavin DeGraw - Live at the Alice Lounge - EP - Belief


Ryan and Allison's second routine is a Broadway number by Tyce. Remember how earlier I said Tyce was growing on me? I take it back. This routine is lifeless except for Allison's flawless improvisation when her hat went south. Sure it was quirky and cute but they were out of sync with each other and the music.

Wow, these judges are ruining Ryan. He looks like he wants to crawl into a corner and cry. I feel kind of bad for he and Martha. The judges were extremely pointed and insistent on making sure America knew these were the two to vote out tonight.
Nigel basically pulled a Simon in trying to sway votes.

Last week plenty of people mocked or shamed Natalie for her emotional breakdown upon Musa's ousting. I can't wait to see what they say about Natalie's emotional roller coaster of a solo routine which left her in tears. I for one had chills because it was such a raw and emotional number. I loved it! Mock Me! Fine... The song was beautiful in a painful slit your wrists kinda way. Me likey.
Download: "Lamentation" by Leah Andreone
leah andreone - alchemy - Lamentation


Time for Benji's solo! Right off the bat there's a split, some stage owning, some swing killin', some pop, some jazz... this boy has perfected and crafted what a solo should be. It's everything he's championed over the last 6 weeks on top of his award winning swing moves. It's without gimmick or bare chest as Nigel pointed out and the crowd went wild chanting his name. He must have been dying inside to hear that! "Benji. Benji. Benji!" Holy Crap the crowd chanted!
Download: "Land of 1000 Dances"
Various Artists - Best of the 60s & 70s - Volume 4 - Land of 1000 Dances


Here's a quote from GMMR to me via email during the show: "Benji is more flaming than my BBQ on the 4th of July!!! I love him!! I really don't think he can lose."


The best part of Dmitry and Donyelle's Samba routine was the rehearsal clip. Dmitry and Season 1 contestant Artem were talking Russian and Donyelle saches by with this zinger that made me roll: "Cool it Ladies" Why's she the coolest thing ever? She was sexy he was strong... they had great chemistry. Sure they stopped short a couple times and she even had to wait for him to take her hand once, but over all it was a good routine.
Download: "Hey Mama" by Black Eyed Peas
Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk - Hey Mama


The Moment Of The Night Ladies and Gentlemen... Travis and Heidi's Contemporary Heartbreaker! Not kidding, I was mesmerized, turned on, heartbroken, and pained by this routine. It was dare I say better than last week's Ivan and Allison shocker. I scribbled AMAZING 14 times in my notes - so obviously... it was! Chills.

As of this morning I'd watched it 6 times and I still can't find anything wrong with it. Hottest Moment: The longing *bench between them* gaze! Seriously the most orgasmic thing I've seen in dance. It still has me reeling. Travis' back bend bench slide maybe helped his back? Either that or tonight we'll see him wheeled out in Hannibal Lechter like dolly traction contraption. Heidi stepped it up hard! Her running bench leap into Travis' arms was powerful and ungodly emotional! Prune Face choreographed her ass off! And, um could you not see Travis working it in Celine's Vegas show? It was basically his audition, Celine song ("Calling You") and all!


Allison's solo - I thought it was a celebration of her freedom! She looked so happy and alive. Nothing more to say.
Download: "We Belong" by Pat Benatar
Pat Benatar - Best Shots - We Belong


Benji and Natalie's final routine was a Hip-Hop number by Shane Sparks but I barely noticed their moves because I kept trying to flag one of them down hoping they'd check the oil and fill'er up.... what's with the mechanics outfits? The whole "Art of Booty Poppin'" had me laughing, but you know what? Girl can Booty Pop! Who knew there was even a name for that ass shakin'?
Download: "She's Freaky" by Pitbull
Pitbull - M.I.A.M.I. (Clean Version) - She's Freaky


Finally, this 2 hour show is coming to an end... or was it a screeching halt? Ryan's solo closed out the show and unfortunatly probably ended his time with us on SYTYCD. Sure, he's an amazing and quite limber soloist with legs of steel but this show hasn't allowed him to showcase that talent. The music was so fun and lively yet his moves and mood were much too serious. I don't know what else he could have done to stay in the competition so I feel bad for him.
Download: "Canned Heat" by Jamiroquai
Jamiroquai - Synkronized - Canned Heat


If previous weeks fought to fill time with useless clips and musical performances, they made up for it this week. By 10pm I felt like I just watched a 2 hour loop of the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. I was spent and exhausted, sweaty and shaking. Let's not do that again Fox!

Going Home Tonight:
Ryan
Martha

9 Comments:

  • "Canned Heat" always reminds me of the movie Center Stage. Have you seen it, Ducky? You've seen High School Musical, so you must've seen CS.

    By Blogger Veltman, at 7/20/2006 11:12:00 AM  

  • love the review, but gotta say poor Natalie did not do the bootie pop right-it was more like a bootie poof.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 12:13:00 PM  

  • Hi, Ducky!

    Wow, that show was like a one act play with 6 costume changes and 4 set switches (and I know you know exactly what I'm saying because you are awesome like that). I think I needed someone to wipe the sweat off me after it was done...what a packed show!

    Favorites were, of course....Travis and Cousin Heidi. We've been saying it all along, Duck...Martha was the anchor in that pairing. How ironic was is that she said, "this is the week we find out who is propping up who". Ummmm, honey....that would we Travis with that big old stick propping your behind up. B-Bye, Martha. Wish I could say I'll miss you, but we'd both know we were lying wouldn't we.

    Favorite solos were definitely, Benji, Travis, Cousin Heidi and Natalie. They get it...it's about incredible dance, great showmanship and original presentation. Loved 'em!

    Benji and Natalie get a very high honorable mention because they were FAB in that jazz routine. That really proved that Benji can do ANY style and that Nat was indeed at home in her element. I personally think that would have killed the routine that Martha and Ivan got, because that was the better choreographed song and better music choice. Still they were my second favorite pairing of the night.

    Love Donyelle because she's super fierce and owns the stage. I didn't notice Dmitry's open shirt for the Samba because I was focused on Donyelle in all her awesome divaness.

    I think that Ryan and Martha will go home, but we may have a surprise and it may be Dmitry or Ivan that goes home. I refuse to believe that Martha will stay...it shall not happen.

    Loved the recap, Duckman!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 01:30:00 PM  

  • First of all, I fall more in love with Cat every week. I feel like we could be friends.
    Moving on...since the beginning of the show, some people have really impressed me doing styles I never thought they'd be able to pull off (e.g. Benji and hip-hop, Ivan and contemporary) but I have to say, the only two I can see in a Celine show are Travis and Allison. No contest. The rest are great dancers but they don't have the whole package (hullo package) needed to be in that kind of a show. Love Donyelle, love Ivan, even love Benji (when I don't want to smack the grin off his face). But they're just not the same caliber as T and A ("got myself a fancy pair...).
    Ducky, can we watch the season finale together at GMMR's place?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 01:46:00 PM  

  • Katrina, you bring a WAVE of Sunshine to this comment section. Had to do it. Get it, Katrina and the Waves... Walking on Sunshine... Forget it.

    The fact that Martha said now we'll see who was propping who up and then sucked ass is quite brilliant. I'm done with her. She blows.

    Jess, you never know... Dreams do come true.

    Cubbybear, I've not looked at your link yet but if you're not a little twink of a gay boy I'll be shocked... a name like that you can only be.

    Joobie, are you kidding me? Dance AND Tweens? LOVED IT! Surprisingly good.

    Anyone else tired?

    By Blogger duckyxdale, at 7/20/2006 03:03:00 PM  

  • Jess and Ducky...I am getting my brand new 40 inch HDTV delivered TOMORROW so YES...we are ALL going to watch it at my house. Besides, the two of you have to meet That could be a VERY fun evening.

    Oh and I only got a new TV because Ducky made fun of my old one when he came over to watch VM.

    Jess...a little sad that you leave comments on Ducky's site but not mine. Don't be stealin' my BFF Duckster :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 03:24:00 PM  

  • Hey I need all the comments I can get Ms. Office World.

    By Blogger duckyxdale, at 7/20/2006 04:26:00 PM  

  • Oh and 40"! That's just a scoch bigger than mine! Nothing better than flatscreen HDTV! SYTYCD looks amazing in HD!

    All together now... "That's What She Said"

    By Blogger duckyxdale, at 7/20/2006 04:27:00 PM  

  • Hee. I get it, Ducky!

    It reminds me of, "Secret of my Success" of 80's B movie-lore and when Michael J. Fox was in his prime. I remember seeing it when I was young and thinking that was my favorite use of that song. Funny thing is...I can't think of another use since. So, that may not recommend it at all. Ha!

    Throwing a little extra "sunshine" your way on a Thursday afternoon, Duckman!

    Kat:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 06:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home