duckyxdale

11/30/2006

Ducky Lives Near St. Elsewhere

I was out doing some Xmas shopping because seriously I'm addicted to Xmas and I love getting gifts for people. I'm a giver. It's what I do. HA! Anyhow, I was roaming around Newbury Comics and noticed that St. Elsewhere was released on DVD this week! For those of you under the age of 30 you probably don't remember St. Elsewhere but you hopefully have heard of it.

St. Elsewhere took place in Boston. Be be more specific, St. Elsewhere (St. Eligius Hospital on the show) is a block and a half from my house. I ride my bike by it every day on my way to work. It looks a little different than it did in the 80s when they would show exterior shots but its still St. Elsewhere. It was a medical drama that starred a bunch of young actors that went on to be huge in entertainment.

Howie Mandel (Deal or No Deal), Mark Harmon (NCIS), Ed Begley Jr. (RIP - Dea O'Dell from Veronica Mars and Sitwell from Arrested Development), David Morse (currently tormenting House on House), Tim Robbins (Mr. Susan Sarandon) and a little known actor named Denzel Washington.

20 YEAR OLD SPOILER ALERT



St. Elsewhere is most famous for its SERIES FINALE whammo in which the whole series took place imagined from a young autistic boy looking into a snow globe. The whole series was imagined through this childs eyes and in it his blue collar father was a surgeon saving lives and being a hero. It was quite the controversial ending and one I remember my Mother freaking out about!

Anyway, I was excited about it being on DVD as it was a huge part of my childhood so I thought I'd pass it on. If you like ER, Grey's Anatomy, House, or even Chicago Hope this show is worth a gander.

4 Comments:

  • Dude! Some of us did not see this series and with newfound love for some of its stars ran out to get this first season DVD. PLEASE don't spoil the ending for others as you did me this morning. Please take the part out about the finale from your post. Respectfully...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2006 08:24:00 AM  

  • tiff, seriously? I'll put a spoiler alert in there but its a 20 year old show. That's like saying I can't talk about the ending of The Sixth Sense or ROSEBUD from Citizen Kane.

    Glad you're going to buy it though!

    By Blogger duckyxdale, at 12/01/2006 08:38:00 AM  

  • Ducky, thanks for putting in the spoiler alert. I know a lot of people who preordered the first season having never seen the original series. I'll definitely buy each season as it comes out, figuring by the time we get to the finale all those drugs I did in the 80s will kick in..but for those who weren't hanging at the discos and don't have that luxury thanks again for the alert.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2006 01:05:00 PM  

  • what is the address of the building in Boston that St. Elsewhere used?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/15/2006 11:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home