duckyxdale

8/25/2006

Ducky's Thoughts: Emmy Nomimations 2006

Okay so its not like you've all been knocking down my door wondering where my Emmy predictions but I figured I'd cave in and give my two cents worth before Sunday's big night. Sure it's television's biggest night but for me I often feel that television needs to come up with a second awards ceremony similar to when the Oscars swing around. The Oscars are always bloated, unsatisfying, disappointing, and often leaves you feeling like the whole thing was rigged but the day before the Oscars we have the REAL AWARDS SHOW, The Independent Spirit Awards. TV needs the same.

Come Saturday night we should be able to tune in to Bravo lets say and watch Kristen Bell or Lauren Graham win for Best Actress while we watch Everwood win Best Drama! It will never happen but a boy can dream.

No, fine... Here are my thoughts on this years Big Categories.


Drama Series
Grey's Anatomy
House
The Sopranos
24
West Wing

I personally would like to see Grey's win this category. Sure the three shows I want to really win aren't even nominated (Lost, Everwood, Veronica Mars) so I'll take Meredith and Company instead. I guess no time like the present to start my rant against West Wing. This show is crap. It was great for a season or two and then it became crap. Mind you, I never watched the show after the second season but the constant nominations for the show and Allison Janney annoyed me so much I boycotted the show all together. It is the most over-hyped awards series of the past 10 years and if it wins this year I will throw my television out the window.



Lead Actress Drama
Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under)
Geena Davis (Commander in Chief)
Mariska Hargitay (SVU)
Allison Janney (West Wing)
Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)

Hands down Kyra Sedgwick. Thank Eeewwww. Her portrayal of Brenda Leigh Johnson is flawless, captivating, riveting, refreshing, comedic, depressing, and beautiful at the same time. No other actress in this category held my attention like Kyra's break out role in The Closer. Do I even need to talk about Allison Janney again? I love her as a comedic actress but, don't get me started...



Lead Actor Drama
Peter Krause (Six Feet Under)
Denis Leary (Rescue Me)
Christopher Meloni (SVU)
Martin Sheen (West Wing)
Kiefer Sutherland (24)

Am I the only one that things Kiefer's "acting" is way overrated? Sure I think he's good but seriously his gruff same year after year actions and pained and strained acting stylings do not even come close to what Peter Krause or Denis Leary pull off on a nightly basis. Nate was annoying in the end but damn could Peter Krause work it; no matter how much I hated Nate before he died I always worshipped Krause's portrayal. Ideally though Denis Leary needs to win. The Season 2 finale was gut wrenching and in general he's just an all around great actor. Honorary Emmy to Meloni for all the nudity and pleasure he gave me on OZ. Good God!



Supporting Actress Drama
Candice Bergen (Boston Legal)
Blythe Danner (Huff)
Sandra Oh (Grey's Anatomy)
Jean Smart (24)
Chandra Wilson (Grey's Anatomy)

This one's hard for me. I love both Grey's nominees and I will forever and always love me some Blythe Danner but in my heart of hearts I think I want Charlene to win! Jean Smart is amazing and I love that she's had a resurgence post Designing Women. First on Frasier and now on 24. She's just great and a sentimental fave. Candice Bergen's still alive? Seriously.



Supporting Actor Drama
Alan Alda (West Wing)
Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos)
Gregory Itzin (24)
Oliver Platt (Huff)
William Shatner (Boston Legal)

This category I could care less about. I don't like any of the nominees necessarily. I know who I don't want to win though... Alan Alda because I don't want West Wing to win anything. Imperioli because I don't want The Soprano's to win anything and William Shatner because, well... he's William Shatner and has he ever really been known for serious acting?



Comedy Series
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
Scrubs
Two and a Half Men

Normally I would pick Arrested Development but it's dead and gone and has won before so instead I will go with the next best thing The Office. This past season they did the impossible, made me cry at a black humor comedy. As the series grows so does our affections toward Jim and Pam. Hell I even cried for Michael at one point last season... no other comedy in this category has done that... Now here's a gripe, can someone please tell me how The Comeback is not on this list? Hands down the most awkward fun I had all last summer. Poor Valerie Cherish. Oh and what about Weeds? Hello.



Lead Actress Comedy
Stockard Channing (Out of Practice)
Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle)
Lisa Kudrow (The Comeback)
Debra Messing (Will & Grace)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (New/Old Christine)

Easy, Lisa Kudrow. Last summer two women had a comeback in two different genres and they entertained me all summer. For drama I've already mentioned Kyra Sedgwick and so for comedy it has to be Lisa Kudrow. There was nothing more delicious than watching the incredibly oblivious and naive Valerie Cherish's misfortunes. Amazing work by Lisa Kudrow, both hysterical and emotionally crushing at the same time. You laughed at her, with her, and then cried for her. An amazing feat.



Lead Actor Comedy
Steve Carell (The Office)
Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm)
Kevin James (King of Queens)
Tony Shalhoub (Monk)
Charlie Sheen (Two and a Half Men)

Is there even a question? Steve Carell. Fundlebundle made me both laugh and cry for him. Period. End of discussion.



Supporting Actress Comedy
Cheryl Hines (Curb Your Enthusiasm)
Megan Mullally (Will and Grace)
Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds)
Jaime Pressly (My Name Is Earl)
Alfre Woodard (Desperate Housewives)

Is there one frame from DH that shows Alfre Woodard in a light hearted jovial comedic mood or even flashing a toothy giggle? No. So she's nominated because? I don't want Earl so even though I think Jaime Pressly will win I can't pick her personally. So I go with Elizabeth Perkins who slayed me in Season 1 of Weeds. Her shining moment? Calling her own daughter a c*nt before shipping her off to boarding school. Genius.



Supporting Actor Comedy
Will Arnett (Arrested Development)
Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle)
Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men)
Sean Hayes (Will & Grace)
Jeremy Piven (Entourage)

Simple. The Piv all the way! Sorry Duckie.



Reality Competition Program
The Amazing Race
American Idol
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway
Survivor

In the past I obviously would have picked The Amazing Race but I have to say that the 2005-2006 seasons were not the best for this old time fave. And as much as I love me some Idol, I can't pick it to win either. This year it's all about Project Runway. Let's hope Santino and Nina Garcia are there to accept the award together. As Tim Gunn would say, Make it Work People!


The Emmy's will be hosted by Conan O'Brien and will air at 8pm this Sunday on NBC. And don't forget that Joan Rivers will conduct her 1000th Red Carpet interview during the TVGuide Pre-Show!

2 Comments:

  • Who are you? Me? Other than the Jaime Pressly and Candace Bergen comments (and the fact that I really don't care for ANY of the Drama Actresses), everything else would be exactly what I would have said if I'm not already boycotting the Emmy's for ignoring Veronica Mars, Everwood, Gilmore Girls, Everybody Hates Chris, Weeds, Lost, How I Met Your Mother... shall I continue?

    By Blogger Vance, at 8/25/2006 04:59:00 PM  

  • Where's lost?

    :'(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/25/2006 07:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home