duckyxdale

7/03/2006

Why I Don’t Think I Can Watch ‘Kyle XY

There are the obvious reasons like the show is on ABC Family and then there's... did I mention it’s on ABC Family? Then there are the reasons the not so obvious reasons…

The marketing of this show scares me. It’s this very young looking boy who is unusually attractive pulling up his shirt to reveal his button less belly. It’s creepy because it’s an ad for a show targeted to little kids yet it’s quite provocative. There’s something overtly sexual and suggestive in the pose. I took semiotics in college; I can read into these things…

I feel that because of these ads, I can’t watch! There seems something illegal about it, no? I’m not a member of NAMBLA after all.

Then there’s the semi-humanoid robotic shows of my youth. Kyle XY looks nothing like my favorite gal in an apron dress with super powers Vicki from “Small Wonder or cutie patootie Chip from “Not Quite Human.” I don’t know… who am I to judge this show based on advertising alone? I know for a fact that the kid who plays Kyle is actually 24 so I don’t feel as bad about the sexualizing of him in the marketing campaign but there’s still a cheese factor involved in the premise of this show.



I also think I’m projecting a completely uneducated opinion of ABC Family onto what this show may or could be. ABC Family just shouts Good Christian White Family TV doesn’t it? Then again they’ve played host to a number of TV movies of the week with some cult show alums (Charisma Carpenter, Nicholas Brandon, Emma Caufield, Majandra Delfino, Sara Rue, etc) that have been cute. I’m torn.

6 Comments:

  • Wait, you're not part of the North American Marlon Brando Look Alike club? For some reason I though you would be. Oh well.

    By Blogger Scooter McGavin, at 7/03/2006 12:42:00 PM  

  • Ducky, love your blog!
    I caught the premiere of Kyle XY last week and it wasn't bad. The lead guy is well cast because he has an almost unbelievable innocence to his portrayl. Every once in a while you see a bit of that 21st century, 24 year old pop out and remember that he isn't 17 (or whatever age they are shooting for here).

    Anyway, you might actually like it Ducky and it's worth a minute or two to see if it's your cup of tea.

    Also, ABC Family has come a long way and most of their shows have gay and lesbian representation, as well as multi-ethnic casts. However, this cast does seem more convential, but it may be due to the "sci-fi" element. Not sure, though.

    This might be a nice chance to see if they are indeed different than they once were, with regard to what you term "White, Christian Familiness".

    Best to you, Duckman!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/03/2006 05:18:00 PM  

  • Thanks Katrina! I almost made "you rock me like a hurricane" reference but decided maybe not... well, I just did. Whoops.

    I caught about 10 minutes of it so far and I'm not quite sure what to think yet... I know, 10 minutes... maybe more later.

    By Blogger duckyxdale, at 7/05/2006 09:38:00 AM  

  • You mention Chip from Not Quite Human? You are AWESOME. Now, if you say you watched 'The Boy Who Could Fly' I'm going to be kind of freaked out.

    By Blogger Veltman, at 7/05/2006 11:03:00 AM  

  • Um Joobie... come on now - The Boy Who Could Fly not only had Jay Underwood in it but it had the daughter from The Great Outdoors in it. She dated the cutie patootie from PCU in it (not The Piv!).

    I think I saw Boy Who Could in the theatre. If not the theatre, then I seriously rented it like 12 times. I loved that movie.

    By Blogger duckyxdale, at 7/05/2006 11:38:00 PM  

  • Can I give you a different perspective: "It's a show that strikes me as White Christian Family - and yet it won't be 7th Heaven! Eye candy! Must ... figure ... it out."

    I cannot watch the show due to a lack of said White Christian Family Network, but if they keep re-airing it on regular ABC I'll try to catch an episode. John Doe comparisons, y'all!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2006 04:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home